Monday, October 8, 2007

Design flaws

One product that I use regularly that I think has one major design flaw is the nalgene bottle. Sure, it is extremely durable, lightweight, and still holds a lot of water, but there is just one thing that bugs me all the time about it: it is impossible to drink while moving, without spilling whatever liquid is inside all over yourself. This is due to the large opening at the top. It is simply too big for any person's mouth. However when you are stationary, it is possible to carefully control the amount of water that flows from the container, but what if I am walking to class and get thirsty? I have to stop, which can lead to awkward social situations if I am with other people. Should they wait for me or go ahead?
Thankfully, there are multiple solutions to this problem. First, they now make nalgenes with smaller openings, perfect for drinking on the go. And second, there are small devices that plug roughly half of the opening, so as to limit the amount of liquid that gets through.

No comments: