Monday, November 19, 2007

Discussion Question Responses

Brandon asked the question: "So, what draws you into a store? What keeps you browsing in that store?"
I think the first thing that draws me inside a store is the products on display in the windows, assuming I am not familiar with the products inside already. I don't want to waste my time in the store if it doesn't sell products I am interested in. Therefore, the display window is my first impression. Once I am inside, I want to be comfortable browsing the products. Therefore, calming colors are good, and some background music. One of the things that turns me away is overbearing salespeople. Usually I just want to look around the whole store myself, and if I need help I will ask for it. In the end, the most important factor that will keep me in a store are products I can relate to and have a need or want for.

Kelsey asked: "According to the article, shoppers are influenced by the positioning of merchandise. How influential do you feel this is on the shopper’s willingness to buy? Can positioning really change the success of a business?"
I think the positioning of merchandise in stores is important for all consumers, but it is absolutely vital for the casual browsers, the people who don't know exactly what they want, and are "just looking around". From a sales perspective, they need to be lead around the store to the items that the business wants to sell most. They have no motivation to actively search for those products on their own, so the store has to be arranged to best present them to the consumer.
Effective positioning of products can make a big difference in the success of a business. For example, if a store averages selling just one pair of jeans to casual consumers, but through careful arrangement of the merchandise sells an additional accessory such as a belt or socks, they can increase their profits greatly. They are selling a product (the socks or belt) that would normally remain on the shelves. Also, the store could arrange their items to promote another pair of jeans. If consumers could be convinced to buy both pairs, the store doubles its profits.

No comments: